Banner Experiment

As some of you have noticed, PTE's been sporting 2 different banners at the same time for a bit now.

I've been trying to test an animated banner, to see how well it works. It's certainly more attention grabbing, though I've found different pros and cons for both picture and animation.

With the plain picture, its main con is that it is always a static image. Another issue is it's sizing. No matter the size I make it, it's size can be altered by the coding set in the template, therefore my banner can end up 200px wide and left aligned.
...which looks ridiculous.
All that said, the main pro to picture banners is that pictures naturally load much much faster than an animation.

Animation looks much nicer, can have its size set with its coding, and can even be giving settings so that it starts static like a picture and turns dynamic by the actions of the user. (i.e. hovering over or pressing a button)

However its filesize can bog down PTE, making the page not load right and make PTE unusable. And with the template, it is not an option for the "banner" piece, therefore there must always be some sort of picture banner on top of the animated one. (the top one can only be reduced to a 1px x 1200 px line at best...hidden, but existant.)

So now I post a question: How are you, the PTErs, finding the two banners? I'd like to switch between animated and picture with new banners that I make, but if animation is being super buggy or if its looking weird on your screens then I'd stick to just picture.


6 comments:

  1. I never have an issue with the page not loading

    ReplyDelete
  2. works for me. i would say keep both

    ReplyDelete
  3. No issue with the page not loading, and I honestly hadn't processed that there were two banners until you mentioned it...
    I'm observant.

    ReplyDelete