Broken Box Business

I hate making posts about work. I hate talking about work.

However all the stupid "interesting" crap that happens to me seems to currently revolve around it so there you go enjoy 10340239423904 work posts.

So here's the story.
A guy orders a bunch of hardwood flooring. The flooring guys pick em out, put em on 2 pallets, 1 of 18, 1 of 52. Right away you should know the 52 was over-stacked as hell and unstable and just terrible.
However this story isn't about how a pallet fell over and I got hurt again or something.

So my coworker and I had to do some re-stacking because we didn't want the 52 stack to topple and smash and hurt us or "the precious -blanking- product". After taking a 44 stack to the door, I was oh the wise to decide to try helping the guy and his buddy with loading the flooring up.
Things seemed to be going all fine and dandy, til I noticed one box with damage.
 Now, you need to know this about boxes like this that get damaged:
1) The product can still be used, but requires to be cut to take the damaged stuff off. Great for corners or not full sized areas, no good otherwise.
2) Some people don't mind damaged boxes because of point 1. Some people really do, and this guy was this latter.

I was uncertain if the guy wanted it, so when I picked it up I began to ask about it, but he just grabbed it and put it in. I thought nothing of it.

Then 20 seconds later he takes it out. He accuses me of intentionally putting a broken box on the pallet, as if I was trying to screw him over.
This caught me off guard, so I stumbled to explain about the likeliest scenario that happened BEFORE I EVEN TOUCHED THE PALLET.
Whether he believed me or even cared is to be seen. I switched it, and left the rest of the work to my coworkers, as they had taken over to help while I got the replacement.

Every other box was fine.

So retail.
Hm.
Yeah.
Mm.

Am I right in getting all pissed about this? I think just accusing people of things is ridiculous and that that guy handled it absentmindedly and just making a post I can see how defensive I'm getting.
Feel free to try to talk me into blame.

 

7 comments:

  1. http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Scooby+Doo_508f87_4945551.png

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the guy was just being a butt to me. That said, I just had work and had a lady yell at me because I asked for her phone number during a return (which is always part of my job) so I might be biased..... sometimes people are just dumb and awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Glad I'm not crazy in thinking this, yeah I think people being dumb and awful is just an annoying inevitability of customers.

      Delete
  3. Customers can just be plain rude and forget that employees are also humans. Retail can be butts for sure, you're definitely not alone in that. Ever go to www.notalwaysright.com?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the whole 'customers blanket' really gives people some messed up ideas. That and social skills aren't taught, so some peoples social skills are non-existant.
      Glad I ain't alone, and yeah I've been there haha. Actually thought about that site after making this post, I often forget that people are a bell curve of awesome and atrocious, I let my optimism blind me sometimes :P

      Delete