[Update] Practicality

Things have been going. Not exceedingly well, but, not bad. Just going.

Wednesday I had a Rhetorical Analysis Exam. By the name you can tell it was a riveting experience. The essay was tougher than anticipated for it, though I can't tell if it's because I struggle with both reading and writing essays, or if it's that the teacher opted for higher difficulty. Either way, I'm no beacon of optimism over it, but my marks in that class are way higher than I could ever hope, so my hopes are that this doesn't destroy it.

I've gotten some word about practicums, mainly one company refuses to do any for liabilities sake. It's good to know this now, since that's something I can watch for/avoid to avoid disappointment. My prof is looking out for opportunities for us students as well, which is reassuring. I've found out that all who have one so far has been from a connection, a friend of a friend or the sort. I have someone in mind who I can fire off my resume to, so I may try the same. Simply applying is apparently not enough...

Tomorrow (Today?) is news day as well, and I may be doing a position I have not done thus far. I've worked camera op, audio, editing, and graphics, and now I'm going to attempt switching. The job sounds easy, but it requires a lot of timing on air, and understanding a massive board. We shall see how it goes.

Oh yeah March 7 was a day I suppose ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


 

7 comments:

  1. I got my internship/job soley beacause I knew Chris's mom. So connections can come up in the most unexpected of places :P You should also check with your college about insurance, as they might already be covering your workplace insurance, via the fees you pay to take the practicum.

    Some places where you might do in the field or on set work might like it if you take a On Set Safety certification workshop. Your local IATSE union chapter, or film training organization usually does one a month on the weekend sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it seems connections are rather key for practicums... I believe the payment for the course is insurance, but it lasts only the 3 weeks (120 hours). Good to know, I'll look into that, thanks :)

      Delete
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc

    ReplyDelete
  3. It strikes me as weird that your school doesn't have connections with companies for practicums. But that's how it goes I guess. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah from how I understand it, most of the connections are really weak or just poor quality 'coffee-getter' positions.

      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. >This is why you get a degree, folks.
      You need makes you factor the costs of tutition, book, room, etc.

      College is not a guaranteed ticket to a high paying without experience, connections, good resume, and a healthy industry/region.

      It's works, but you have to be smart with that.

      Delete