Conflictions

Hopefully this post gets a good amount of feedback, because I need opinions.

I've been planning for quite some time to try to make some YouTube videos. Now with the 'Win10tho' (Nickname pending), that is possible.
My approach is to be ad-friendly and copyright-friendly in a bid to make it a viable outlet to sink more time into if the opportunity came up. However, that's where the issues start.
In order to be ad-friendly means being E-rated. 

I had planned to use the Eric Riccy name, and just straight upload to my main old account. However, FNWER (remember that?) has videos containing swears, so I was planning to maybe un-list those. It tempts me to un-list then anything that could be construed as cringe material, but I'd also end up purging most FNWER with un-listing in that case.
And then there's PTE. Also associated with the Eric Riccy name, old posts (Especially 2010, man I was angsty lol) have swears again too. So that might require further censorship.

Plus, my main channel has quite a few videos associated with copyright claims. No strikes, but I don't know if a claim is enough to prevent me from ever getting ads.
If so then I would need to purge a lot of old videos, though I suppose I could just save them and keep them offline.

With all this in mind, does pursuing the Eric Riccy name make sense? Or should I try to refresh myself under a new pseudonym ? Or am I going about this all wrong?

I also have to keep in mind RO stuff could come to haunt me too lol. Damn you Jennaay.



4 comments:

  1. look at dunkey hes not e rated and he gets ads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But also he's Dunkey and amazing. Like the guy had a cult following before Youtube even. And that said he had to still essentially start from scratch on Youtube and make it, which he did.

      You have a point though, but my reply stands.

      Delete
  2. I was also pretty angsty in 2010, lol

    So it's true that making family-friendly content will open you up to the largest possible audience, but as far as Youtube monetization goes, it's more a video-by-video qualification so old content shouldn't hurt you there.
    Some other things to keep in mind is that the Youtube partner program has changed so you have to have at least 1000 subscribers AND at least 4000 hours of watch time over the last 12 months. Getting to the point of monetization could take a while (and even once you can youtube ad revenue is pretty small) so make sure you're doing it cuz you like doing it and don't be discouraged by numbers.

    Copyright claims shouldn't be a problem, several of my covers have been claimed as well. Copyright claimed videos can't be monetized, but only a strike will hurt your channel.

    As for whether to keep your old videos on the channel or make a new pseudonym, it's really about whether you want your old content associated with your new content, and do you want people to watch it. I took down almost all my old videos from PegVlog because I didn't really intend for them to be seen by a lot of people at the time I made them. My personal blog is pretty hard to associate with me I think, I try to be vague, so I still have it. Try doing a google search on your pseudonym to see what comes up.

    Also keep in mind that the key to building any kind of audience is to upload frequently over a long period of time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2010 was some crazy times. Great for posting at least!

      Good to know, appreciate the heads up. Yeah honestly I figured getting any monetary gain from it would be like winning the lottery so I've planned more to have it be a hobby but didn't want to pigeon-hole myself financially if I actually managed a cult following or something.
      My channel has never been copyright struck, even after 11 years of being around and with all the claims. Granted I've never tried getting adsense or anything either. It's always been for fun!

      Yeah I think ultimately no matter how much re-branding I do, my old content will haunt me. I think I might just embrace it and go with cleaning up the bad and leaving whatever is okay or better. I mean Business Penguin is gone so I'm already getting better haha.
      I googled my pseudonym and it definitely catches a lot of things I made. I forgot I had masterminded search engines and made myself very searchable, might also be something to play on.

      Definitely! I wish I had been uploading fun videos since I started the channel, but getting a good functioning computer with good functioning video editing software has been a long, long struggle. I mean, the vlogs. Glorious "720P" (Upscaled webcam from ~2005. And the computer I had back then is long dead.)

      Appreciate your feedback!

      Delete